You know that summer feeling when it’s so hot in a city that you’re about to melt right there, in the middle of that concrete jungle? You’re stressed out, constantly running somewhere and dreaming about a little oasis in the shade where you could just relax and enjoy the view? Yes, we know that feeling too, and we love the simple solution for those and many other problems people in urban areas face: the Green Roofs.
Importance of Green Roofs
By definition, “a green roof is a vegetative layer grown on a rooftop and as such represents an important element of the urban green infrastructure.”They are gardens on the rooftops of buildings and it’s not only cool shade in the summertime that they provide to us.
As they are excellent insulators, green roofs also keep us warm in the winter and contribute to biodiversity of the cities. They are great for our well-being: the soil absorbs water from rain and prevents heavy metals from ending up in our drinking water. Spending time in these calm, green spaces is definitely good for us. Plus, they are so beautiful to look at!
That’s why we want to see which rooftops will win this BEAUTY CONTEST! So, do you know where is the most beautiful green roof in Europe ? We are searching for an answer to that question and we want you to help us find it.
We’re inviting you to participate in the Green Roof Beauty Contest! Send us a photo of a green roof in an urban area that you believe to be the most beautiful one and become our ambassador for the greener cities!
1. BEST GREEN ROOF IN TOWN
2. SELFIE IN URBAN GREENARY
There will be 2 winners for each category and there will be one additional winner for the award by the public.
- Gift voucher worth 150 EUR each in an acclaimed online store for two category winners;
- Gift voucher worth 100 EUR in an acclaimed online store for a winner of a public award.
Application requirements/technical stuff
Deadline: 23 September 2016
Send to: email@example.com
File name: Firstname_Surname_Title.jpg.
Format: electronic, JPG extension. The compression cannot exceed Adobe Photoshop jpeg larger than 8.
Maximum size: 10 MB
Minimum size: 3 megapixels (approx. 2000 x 1500 pixels)
Maximum number of photos from one author: 5
Additional information: short caption in English (50 words max.)
Applicants should note that manipulated photos cannot be submitted.
What does not count as photo manipulation?
– cropping, cutting the unwanted elements, changing image orientation;
– changing brightness, contrast or sharpness;
– transformation from color photo to black and white;
– for analogue photos, the corrections of the scanning/digitalization errors (scratches, dust, etc.)
- You must be the photographer and the copyright owner for all the images submitted.
- By participating in this photography contest, you give your permission for the photo(s) to be uploaded to an online gallery for public voting and that your photo(s) might be used for our communications and outreach activities.
- Applicants have to fulfill all the requirements in order to participate in the contest.
The received photos will be evaluated based on:
- Content: how well does the photograph correspond to the subject of the competition?
- Originality: original approach to the subject
- Technical Excellence
Participants will be graded by a jury consisting of a professional photographer and a conservationist, according to the mentioned criteria. The maximum of points for each criteria is 10.
PUBLIC VOTING WINNER
All the submitted photographs will be uploaded to the CEEweb for Biodiversity website. The public voting will open on September 25 th 2016 at 12:00 AM and will close on October 10 th 2016 at 12:00 AM.
The number of likes the photo received on the website will account for the 90% of the overall points. And what about the additional 10%, you may ask? That is where we would like you to step in!
Namely, we are inviting you to make your own social media campaign for your photographs. Publish your photos on your Facebook profile (as a public post) or on a Facebook page you manage/have access to and invite your friends to like them and to vote for them once the online voting starts! The post should contain the tag @CEEweb for Biodiversity and the hashtag #GreenRoofs.
That way, you will make your first step as the ambassador of the greener cities in Europe and you will help us create an online community that supports green infrastructure and green oasis in urban areas. Make sure you send us the link to your post once you upload it – we will make screenshots of posts with visible number of likes on October 10th at 12:00 AM.
The number of likes collected on Facebook will not significantly affect the overall number of points for public award (it’s only 10%).
All the winners will be notified by email on 11th October 2016 and the names of the winners will be published on CEEweb for Biodiversity’s website.
Salman is a prolific environmental writer, and has authored more than 300 articles in reputed journals, magazines and websites. He is proactively engaged in creating mass awareness on renewable energy, waste management, sustainability and conservation all over the world.
Salman can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Salman Zafar (see all)
- What are Hoop Houses - January 16, 2018
- Stress Management: The Benefits of House Cleaning in a Person’s Health - January 16, 2018
- Sacred Earth, Sacred Trust: Call for Acceleration of Climate Action - January 14, 2018
Republished by Blog Post Promoter