Moving is indeed stressful for humans. But, imagine how difficult it is for your pets. Typically, pets can quickly become anxious and fearful when they notice an unexpected activity in your house. Because of this, a long distance moving with these furry friends should be planned carefully to ensure a seamless relocation experience for the entire family.
Below are a few factors to consider when moving with pets:
1. Research the Pet Policies in Your New Place
Before anything else, it’s essential to check the pet laws and policies in your new place. Generally, there are towns and cities that might require pet registration and special collar tags to ensure their safety.
Moreover, try to get familiar with the place’s list of restrictions placed on pets so you’ll know what to do when you arrive with your pets. By doing research ahead of time, you can make sure your pets will have a smooth transition to your new home.
2. Visit Your Veterinarian Before Moving
Before the moving day, schedule a veterinarian visit to ensure your pet is fit and healthy. Also, take that appointment as an opportunity to get your animal vaccinated and checked up. While you’re there, ask for a copy of your pet’s medical records and some recommendations for a veterinarian near your new home. That way, it’ll be easy to contact and schedule a visit once you’ve settled into your new place.
3. Keep Your Pet Away From The Chaos Of Moving
As mentioned, pets get stressed when they see many activities going on around them. To reduce stress on the animal, keeping them away from the action can be a great idea. Here’s how you can do it:
- Ask your friends or relatives if they can take care of your pet on a moving day. They can take them outside to remove them from the chaos.
- If you don’t want to leave them to someone else, at least place them in an empty closed-door room or put them in their carrier in the garage. In doing so, be sure to check in on them from time to time and feed them at the time you usually do.
- If you want to keep an eye on them, consider hiring professional cross country movers who can handle the job for you. Instead of tackling the tasks by yourself, you can shift the burden to nyc moving companies, so you have more time taking care of your pet.
4. Prepare A Pet Bag
With all the things that need to be packed, it’s easy to lose your pet’s belongings. When this happens, you might not be able to cater to their needs quickly. Thus, instead of going through each box to find your pet’s food container, it’s best to pack a pet bag for them.
By doing this, you can make sure that your pet’s necessary supplies are readily available. Also, keep some of their favorite items, such as toys and pillows, to help minimize their anxiety and fear during the trip.
5. Update Your Pet’s Info
Before the move, it’s vital to get your pet’s info updated for safety purposes. If they have an identification microchip, change your contact information in the database. But, if you’re not familiar with the microchip process, make new identification tags with your new address and contact info for their collar. That way, you can keep them safe in case they’ll get lost during your relocation.
6. Prepare Your Pet For the Travel
Unless your move requires air travel, you and your pet will more likely be using a car for the trip. To prepare them for the travel, get familiar with any specialized carriers they might need for safe and smooth transportation.
On the other hand, if you’re traveling your pet by air, check all the airline rules and regulations to avoid some problems. Also, don’t forget to keep their personal documents to ensure a hassle-free flight.
Clearly, moving with pets isn’t an easy task. There are many challenges that should be planned and prepared thoroughly to make their moving experience less stressful. Fortunately, some companies offer quality moving services long distance to help you navigate the process in the best way possible.
Lastly, by following the moving with pet tips mentioned above, you can make your move a bit calmer for your pet companion.
- Closet Storage Systems Aren’t Just For The Bedroom - June 5, 2023
- Things to Know About the Hazardous Nature of Gas Hydrates - June 5, 2023
- 5 Financial Tips for New Entrepreneurs - June 4, 2023
Originally posted 2020-06-14 11:29:16. Republished by Blog Post Promoter